and i get these emails plentifully in my inbox each day.
"experts" blabbing on about their best advice.
well, today i got one such email in which an 'expert' shared her spiritual routine.
the way she wrote it out looked so cute, and now i just HAVE to delight myself with a list of my own:
- family devotional (scripture study and discussion and prayer) this means inching our way through the book of mormon for the second time in ten years. we use the 'family version' which has suggested quotes for each verse. hubs and i take turns reading it, and sometimes kids will read it... about ten verses... and then we try to have a deep chat about what we read.
ALMOST DAILY... more like...WEEKLY
- scripture study with my three eldest kids. on school nights we read a chapter or less from the bible, or other standard works. for the girls we use the picture books, but my eldest reads from his own set. right now we are in the isaiah chapters and its interested to see what he understands. i honestly get a lot out of these studies because i am not often reading anything BUT the book of mormon.
- general conference reminders. on sundays we listen to a general conference talk and discuss it. this is always so good for my soul.
- my personal study. this will mean reading one of three things: the ensign magazine, the relief society lesson/ sunday school lesson for that week, or brushing up on some topic that is on my mind that week... like chastity (when i had the sex talk with my son) or loneliness (making and keeping friends is hard for me these days).
- personal prayer. i could do SO SO SO much better at talking to God. i have a lack of faith.
- FAMILY NIGHT. the prophet has counseled us to do this and no matter how pointless it feels i seriously try. we do have a lesson, an activity and a treat almost every time. lately it seems really lame, but maybe we will settle into a better routine with time?
- couple prayer. every now and then hubs and i kneel and pray with thanks, or PLEAD for some strength to keep going. life is so so hard.
- church attendance. we generally all go together, and this lasts a good three hours. i find that these days i am working VERY hard to get something out of church. it is HARD for me to feel the spirit at church and connected to my church family. but i am determined to not give up.
- journaling. i blog a lot and not always here. i try to reflect and process my days. this counts as spiritual, right?
MONTHLY, or less
- temple attendance. everything in the world works against me to get there. but when i make it... i am always glad i went. even the other week when i felt mad at the world, i came out happy. its a miracle worker, i tell ya.
this silly little list makes me feel like i am not completely failing at life. maybe i am doing more than i realize. i have a HUGE need for improvement, don't get me wrong, but i guess i see now that i am not as far away from God as i feel. and the answer is simpler than i thought it was. He is right here waiting for me to talk to Him and seek Him out.